Dry Eye Treatment
Get Relief From Chronic Eye Discomfort
Dry eye syndrome is a chronic and often progressive condition affecting the surface of the eyes. In most cases, dry eyes can be managed successfully with the help of an eye specialist, usually resulting in noticeably better eye comfort, fewer symptoms and improved vision.
The optometrists of Downtown Eyes are experts at diagnosing and treating dry eye syndrome and other ocular surface diseases. By utilizing the latest in technology, we can develop a dry eye treatment regimen designed specifically to manage your particular condition and alleviate your symptoms.
Reasons for Dry Eyes
There are several reasons you might have dry eyes, including:
- Long-term contact lens use.
- Natural aging (dry eyes are especially common for individuals over the age of 65).
- A side effect of the use of decongestants, antihistamines, antidepressants and other medications.
- In women, pregnancy, menopause and use of oral contraceptives.
- Dry environments and climates as well as wind and exposure to smoke.
- Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems and other health conditions.
During a comprehensive exam, an eye specialist will accurately diagnose the cause of your dry eyes in order to develop the most effective treatment. At Downtown Eyes, we don’t settle for anything less than the complete satisfaction of our patients.
Treatments for Dry Eyes
Dry eyes can be diagnosed with an evaluation of patient health history, a thorough eye exam and by measuring tear production. If you have dry eye syndrome, some of your treatment options include:
- Eye drops to improve tear production
- Eyelid cleaners to treat swelling around the eyelids
- Blocking the tear ducts to conserve tears
- Using artificial tear solutions to add tears to the eyes