Wiping Out Pink Eye One Treatment at a Time
Pink/red eye, also known as conjunctivitis, is one of the most common eye conditions, one that can affect one or both eyes. Rather than waiting to see if the eye disease clears up on its own, you and your eye health will be much better off seeking immediate professional pink eye treatment in Minneapolis from the pros at Downtown Eyes.
Understanding Pink Eye
Pink eye is most common in young children, but it can afflict adults as well. There are some forms of the condition that are highly contagious, which allows it to spread through a school or home like wildfire. What’s more is that pink eye can either be a minor inconvenience or a serious issue that should be treated ASAP.
The three main types of conjunctivitis include:
- Infectious Conjunctivitis, which includes a bacterial, viral and severe form known as ophthalmia neonatorum
- Allergic Conjunctivitis, which is mostly found in individuals who suffer from seasonal allergies. This type is also common whenever there is a foreign body in the eye or when a person who wears contact lenses doesn’t change them out frequently
- Chemical Conjunctivitis, which is the result of chlorine in swimming pools, air pollution, exposure to harmful chemicals and other irritants
Some of the symptoms of pink eye are:
- Excessive tearing
- Oversensitivity to light
- Fluid discharge from the eye
- Pink discoloration to the whites of the eye(s)
Once Dr. Mary Ann Zastrow or Dr. Robert Toomey has successfully diagnosed your conjunctivitis, there are a few treatment options. Eye irritants should either be avoided or removed, and compresses can also be used. Antibiotic eye drops and ointments are another treatment option. For viral pink eye, you’ll simply have to wait for it to run its course; no antibiotics, drops or ointments will be effective.
Schedule an Appointment
If you think you have red/pink eye, call Downtown Eyes today at 612-333-EYES (3937) to arrange an appointment. You’re also free to submit a Contact Us form.