Red Eye/Pink Eye
Wiping Out Pink Eye, One Treatment at a Time
Pink or red eye, also known as conjunctivitis, is one of the most common eye conditions and can cause severe discomfort in one or both eyes. Rather than waiting to see if this eye disease clears up on its own, you and your eye health might be much better off seeking immediate professional pink eye treatment from the experts at Downtown Eyes.
Understanding Pink Eye
Pink eye is most common in young children, but it can afflict adults as well. There are some forms of the condition that are highly contagious, which allows it to spread through a school or home like wildfire. Pink eye can either be a temporary inconvenience or a serious issue that should receive professional eye care ASAP.
The three main types of conjunctivitis include:
- Infectious conjunctivitis, which includes a bacterial, viral and severe form known as ophthalmia neonatorum.
- Allergic conjunctivitis, which is mostly found in individuals who suffer from seasonal allergies. This type is also common when there is a foreign body in the eye or when a person who wears contact lenses doesn’t change them out frequently.
- Chemical conjunctivitis, which is the result of chlorine in swimming pools, air pollution, exposure to harmful chemicals and other irritants.
Some of the common symptoms of pink eye are:
- Burning and itchiness
- Thick, sticky eye discharge
- Excessive tearing
- Oversensitivity to light
- Pink discoloration to the whites of the eye(s)
Pink Eye Treatment
Once our doctors have diagnosed conjunctivitis, there are a few treatment options. Eye irritants should either be avoided or removed. Compresses can be used to relieve symptoms. Antibiotic eye drops and ointments are another treatment option. In the case of viral pink eye, you’ll simply have to wait for it to run its course; no antibiotics, drops or ointments will be effective.
Schedule An Appointment Today
If you think you have pink/red eye, call Downtown Eyes Minneapolis at (612) 333-EYES (3937) or Downtown Eyes Crosstown at (612) 869-1333, or complete our online appointment request form. We offer convenient eye care that works with your schedule.